Wednesday 8 January 2014

Flexibility @ Salto


I made a trip to Edmonton on boxing day for 5 days to work with Rebecca Sykes from Salto Gymnastics. I learned a lot from working with her and her girls were SO much fun to work with. I had the amazing opportunity to do some flexibility training with them for an hour on 3 of the days I was there. Rebecca videotaped some of what we did and put together a compilation.
The above video has 6 stretches and 2 flex/strength exercises.
A couple notes.
I like to the "kickout" exercise before the pike side to side because it warms up the same area. What you're watching for in the pike stretch is that the knee that is bending is going directly over the toe. The leg that is straight is pushing down through the heel and the back of the knee as well as pushing the hip out to the side. This is one of my favorite stretches, way more effective than just sitting in pike and pushing kids forward.
Bounce bounce up is great for active flexibility and strength in an area that is challenging.


The next video is mostly arms with a straddle stretch at the end. After the girls do the bridge pushes, I showed them a better way to stretch out their back instead of rolling on the floor.


Thanks for watching!
Andrea




No comments:

Post a Comment